Donna's delicious links for internet safety, information literacy, and 21stcenturyskills.
Links from presentation:
- Video: A Portal to Media Literacy
- Video: Information R/evolution
- ISTE NETS-S: National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Students
- ISTE NETS-T: National Educational Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers
- NCSCOS Information Skills Curriculum
- NCSCOS Technology Skills Curriculum
- Understanding the web 101
- Media Awareness Educational Games
- martinlutherking .org
- The Big 6
- Teacher Helpers: Critical Evaluation Information
- Google Custom Search
- Google Custom Search for Southwest Elementary
- Donna's delicious links for information literacy
- Information literacy lessons (by grade level and topic)
- Lesson plan library (elem/middle/high)
- Lessons and Activities
- Kid-friendly sites
- Effective online searching
- World of Warcraft
- Cyber Tip Line
- Media Awareness
- Age-Based Guidelines
- Donna's delicious links for online safety
Cyber Tree House
Vista Parental Controls video
Internet Safety Online Resources
I Keep Safe http://www.ikeepsafe.org
Parent resource center with videos on what parents need to know, how to protect your kids online, and 10 actions every parent must take (pdf file and video).
Videos, tutorials, family activities, D.A.R.E activity lessons.
Faux Paw's fun zone for kids with games, printables, downloads, video and printable book on online safety.
NetSmartz 411 http://www.netsmartz411.org/
FAQ for parents regarding online safety, computers, and the web.
Ask an Expert or search the library for answers.
NetSmartz Workshop http://www.netsmartz.org/
Sections for parents/guardians, teachers, law enforcement, teens, and kids. (Spanish section also.)
Parent section includes videos from developmental pediatrician, real-life stories, activity cards, FAQ section.
NetSmartz Kids http://www.netsmartzkids.org/indexFL.htm
Kid friendly site including games, activities, videos and songs.
Teen friendly site including comics and videos.
NC Dept of Justice Internet Crimes Against Children Parent resources http://www.ncsbi.gov/icac/icac_parents.jsp
See links on left hand side. Information for parents regarding internet safety, online predators, cyberstalking, unwanted exposure to sexual material, tips for parents, and family rules. Internet safety video and resource guide included.
Common Sense Media www.commonsensemedia.org
Non-profit organization that allows families to have a "choice and a voice" about the media they consume.
Surf Swell Island- Adventures in Internet Saftey PK-6 http://disney.go.com/surfswell/
Kid-friendly Disney site with games and activities related to internet safety. Parent's guide and teacher's guide included.
Includes tips and tools for parents. See video on how to setup a MySpace account as well as setting up Vista's Parental controls. Kids and parents pledges included.
Wired Kids http://www.wiredkids.org/wiredkids_org.html
Sections for parents, tweens, teens, kids, educators, and law enforcement.
Wired Safety Parent's page http://www.wiredsafety.org/parent.html
Stay Safe Online http://www.staysafeonline.org/index.html
Provides free and non-technical cyber security and safety resources to the public. Sections for home users, K-12 educators, small business, and higher education.
Includes video tutorials for basic cyber security and links to free computer security checks.
Play it Cyber Safe http://www.playitcybersafe.com/
Sections for kids, parents, and teachers. Kids "Cyber TreeHouse" includes videos and games.
Cyber Smart K-8 www.cybersmartcurriculum.org
Free activities and lesson plans by grade level covering Safety, Manners, Advertising, Research, and Technology.
Better Business Bureau Kid's Privacy Seal Info http://www.bbbonline.org/Privacy/kid.asp
Information about the kid's privacy seal from BBB.
Power of Parents: A Child Safety & Awareness Program http://www.powerofparentsonline.com/
Includes teachable moments guides by age.
- Wes Fryer cyberbullying http://teachdigital.pbwiki.com/cyberbullying
Resources regarding cyberbullying and internet safety from educational technology leader Wes Fryer.
- Media Awareness site http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/
Resources for information literacy. Educational games includes videos to support information literacy skills.
- Cable in the Classroom Digital Safety http://www.ciconline.org/digitalsafety
Digital safety links.
- Point Smart Click Safe http://www.pointsmartclicksafe.org/
Interactive information ("guidebook") regarding internet safety and parental controls.
- Internet Safety Statistics http://www.netlingo.com/statistics.cfm
Statistics about children on the internet, internet safety, and online predators.
- Enough is Enough http://www.enough.org/
Age-based guidelines (http://www.enough.org/inside.php?id=PJP0ORIPM), youth safety rules, videos for parents, info on cyberbullying and social networking.
- Protect Kids http://protectkids.com/
Rules 'n tools for parents and other parent tips and information.
- Web Aware http://www.bewebaware.ca/english/default.aspx
Internet 101 for parents, internet checklist for kids, teens, and parents. Safety tips by age, information about the risks, and how to take action. Kid-friendly sites, online searching, and FAQ.
- Social Safety http://www.socialsafety.org/ Free safety packets, videos, resources for schools, teens parents, law enforcement, and government.
- The Parents Edge http://www.theparentsedge.com/index.html Tools and resources for parents to help keep their kids safe online. Free guides, how-to's and resources.
- Net Family News http://www.netfamilynews.org/ Kid-tech news for parents (blog)
- Parenting the MySpace Generation (Cable in the Classroom) http://www.ciconline.org/poll2006 Includes presentation/podcast, fact sheets, information and resources about digital safety and ethics.
Popular Social Networking Sites
for younger children...
Webkinz http://www.webkinz.com/index.html (designed for ages 6-13+)
Parent's Area http://www.webkinz.com/parents_area.html
Club Penguin http://www.clubpenguin.com/
Parent's Page http://www.clubpenguin.com/parents.htm
for older children
Safer Cyber Playrooms Article http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-02-26-nickelodeon-disney-social-sites_x.htm
FTC Social Networking Sites: A Parent's Guide http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/tech/tec13.shtm