Thumbdrives (Flash Drives, USB Drives, etc.) are a great way to transport your documents back and forth, but did you know that you can also run applications from your thumbdrive? Come learn about portable applications you can use at home and at school! Participants are encouraged to bring their thumbdrive.
Create an If Found File on Your USB
- Open your USB Device from My Computer
- Right-click anywhere in the White Area
- Choose New then Text Document
- Type in Your Contact Info (Name, Address, Phone Numbers)
- Save the file as IF_FOUND_RETURN_TO.txt
What is a Portable Application?
“Portable means carried or moved with ease. Apps means a computer program like a web browser or word processor. A Portable Apps is a computer program that you can carry around with you on a portable device such as USB flash drive, portable hard drive and iPod and use on any Windows computer. You can access to your software and personal data just as on your own PC. And when you unplug the device, none of your personal data is left behind.” (Source: www.portableapps.com).
How to Install and Use Portable Applications
- How to use Portable Apps
- Download Portable Apps Suite Lite from http://portableapps.com/ or use the install file located in the ALLINONE folder on this CD.
- Double click the PortableApps_Suite_Lite_1.0.exe file.
- If you get an Open File Security warning click Run.
- Use the box with the … in it to browse to your usb drive.
- Click Install.
- When it is finished you can start Portable apps by going to My Computer clicking on your usb drive and double-clicking StartPortableApps.exe.
- The suite comes loaded with some basic applications. To add more you will need to:
- click on Options
- then Install a New App
- locate the file (must have .paf.exe)
- Click on Install
- How to use Pstart
- Download Pstart from http://www.pegtop.de/start/ or use the install file located in the ALLINONE folder on this CD.
- Double click the PStartSetup211.exe file.
- If you get an Open File Security warning click Run.
- Click Next
- Click I Accept then Next
- Choose Portable Setup then select your USB drive in the Dropdown menu then click Next.
- Click Install Now
- Click Finish.
- To add applications:
- Right-click inside the Pstart Window
- Select Add File
- Locate your File (anything with a .exe, .scr, .com, .bat, or .cmd will work)
- Click Open
- You can now rename it or add additional info then click OK
- You can reorder your menu by dragging and dropping applications.
- You can also add a folder by following the same process as above but clicking Add Folder instead of Add File.
- When you plug-in your USB it should start Pstart automatically, if it doesn’t -
- Go to My Computer
- Double click on your USB
- Double click the PStart.exe
Important Note: “When you use portable apps, it’s always a good idea to practice Safe Portable App-ing. Safe Portable App-ing: When you’re done, exit all portable apps and then wait for the activity light on your removable drive to stop flashing. Then select the ‘Safely remove [device]‘ option from the icon in the system tray. If you remove the drive while it is writing, you may lose data.” (source: www.portableapps.com). This is a good idea for BOTH PStart and Portable Apps!
All in One
Audio / Music
- Audacity - Audio Editor and Recorder http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
- CDex - CD Ripper http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
- DSpeech - Text to Speech http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/ scroll down for dspeech
- InfraRecrder - CD/DVD burning http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/
- VLC - VideoLAN Media Player http://www.videolan.org/
- StarDict - StarDict is a cross-platform and international dictionary software. http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
- The Sage - English Dictionary and Thesaurus http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html
- ESBCalc – Freeware Scientific Calculator http://www.esbconsult.com/esbcalc/esbcalc.htm
- GeoGebra - GeoGebra is a free and multi-platform dynamic mathematics software for schools that joins geometry, algebra and calculus. http://www.geogebra.org/cms/
- GEONExT - German Geometry program in German http://geonext.uni-bayreuth.de/index.php?id=1917
- Gnuplot - Gnuplot is a portable command-line driven interactive data and function plotting utility http://www.gnuplot.info/
- GraphCalc - 2D and 3D Graphing Calculator http://www.graphcalc.com/
- Celestia - The free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. http://www.shatters.net/celestia/
- Convert All - unit converter http://convertall.bellz.org/
- ESBUnitConv – Freeware Unit Converter http://www.esbconsult.com/esbcalc/esbunitconv.htm
- Periodic Table Explorer - The PTE is a brand new way of exploring the periodic table. http://www.freshney.org/education/pte/
- Stellarium - Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. http://www.stellarium.org/
- Psycle - Music creation studio http://psycle.wikia.com/wiki/Psycle
- Virtual Metronome - Give Me Tac Virtual Metronome http://givemetac.free.fr/index_en.php
- Visual Music – Let’s you play 128 instruments http://www.shitalshah.com/vmusic/
- ChildsPlay - Free Educational Software http://childsplay.sourceforge.net/install-windows.php
- GCompris - Free Educational Software ages 2-10 http://gcompris.net/
- Typing - Tux Typing http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/
- GNU Cash - Free personal accounting software http://www.gnucash.org/
- Money Manager Ex - Money Manager Ex is an easy to use, money management application. http://sourceforge.net/projects/moneymanagerex
Graphics and Drawing
- Blender - 3D modeling http://www.blender.org/
- Dia - Technical Drawing program - similar to Visio http://live.gnome.org/Dia
- Image Viewer - An image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA. http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
- MaxView 2.1 - Image viewer http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDetail.htm
- Photo Resizer - An image converter / resizer intended to enable users especially digital camera owners to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermark to images in a quick and easy BATCH mode. http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
- FreeCAD - General purpose 3D CAD modeler http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php?title=Main_Page
- Gimp - Image Editor similar to Photoshop http://www.gimp.org/
- Hugin - Panorama Photo Stitcher http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
- Inkscape - Vector Graphics similar to Illustrator http://www.inkscape.org/
- IrfanView - IrfanView is a compact, easy to use image viewer. More than that, you can also edit images directly in IrfanView, to produce a variety of effects. http://www.irfanview.com/
- Google Sketchup - Google SketchUp is software that you can use to create, modify and share 3D models. http://www.google.com/sketchup/index.html
- LeoCAD - LeoCAD is a CAD program that uses bricks similar to those found in many toys (ie Legos). http://leocad.org/
- PosteRazor - The PosteRazor cuts a raster image into pieces which can afterwards be printed out and assembled to a poster. http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
- Tux Paint - Tux Paint is a free, award-winning drawing program for children ages 3 to 12 (for example, preschool and K-6 in the US, key stages 1 & 2 in the UK). It combines an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program. http://www.tuxpaint.org/
- XnViewer - is an efficient multimedia viewer, browser and converter. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html
- Firefox - Internet Browser like Internet Explorer http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
- MyPodder - Get your podcasts on your portable device. http://www.podcastready.com/download.php
- Pidgin - Instant Messaging http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/pidgin_portable
- RSSOWL - RSS Reader http://www.rssowl.org/
- Skype - Start making free video and voice calls to other other people on Skype. http://www.skype.com/
- Thunderbird - Email client http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
- Open Office http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
- Writer - Word replacement
- Calc - Excel replacement
- Impress - Powerpoint replacement
- Draw - Draw lets you create simple and complex drawings and export them in a number of common image formats. You can also insert tables, charts, formulas and other items created in OpenOffice.org programs into your drawings.
- Math - Math provides numerous operators, functions and formatting assistants to help you create formulas.
- Base - Database - Access replacement
- Scribus - Desktop Publishing (flyers, brochures, etc) http://www.scribus.net/
- Gantt Project - Free project management. http://ganttproject.biz/
- Planner - A project management application http://live.gnome.org/Planner
- PNotes - Sticky notes for your computer. http://pnotes.sourceforge.net/
- Sunbird - Agenda / Calendar tool http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sunbird_portable
- ToDoList - Task Management Tool http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html
- 7 Zip - File Archiver http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable
- Ant Renamer - lets you rename a lot of files at once. http://www.antp.be/software/renamer
- AstroGrep - AstroGrep is a Microsoft Windows grep utility. Grep is a UNIX command-line program which searches within files for keywords. http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/
- ClamWin - Antivirus to Go http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
- CyberShredder - Permenantly delete files http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/CyberShredder.shtml
- KeePass - KeePass is a free/open-source password manager or safe which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. http://keepass.info/
- Magnifiying Glass - Virtual Magnifying Glass is a free, open source, cross-platform screen magnification tool. It is simple, customizable, and easy-to-use. http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/
- Restoration - File undelete utility http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
- SumatraPDF - PDF Reader http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sumatra_pdf_portable
Website Development / Web Tools
- ColorPic - Ever wondered what the web color was of something on the screen. This little tool will tell you! http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/
- FileZilla - FTP Client http://portableapps.com/apps/development/nvu_portable
- NVU - Nvu Portable is an easy-to use web editor http://portableapps.com/apps/development/nvu_portable
- PMeter - PMeter is a very handy pixel meter. http://www.pegtop.net/pmeter/
Online Versions of some of the above
- Google Docs - Online versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint http://docs.google.com/
- Zoho - Many online applications http://www.zoho.com/
- Bubbl.us - Allows you to create Mind Maps online http://bubbl.us/
- Del.icio.us - Social bookmarking site where you can save and share all your links. http://del.icio.us/
- Flickr.com - Online photo storage and sharing site. http://flickr.com
- Google Reader - Get all your blogs and news feeds fast. http://www.google.com/reader
- Google Calendar - Organize your schedule and share events with friends. http://www.google.com/calendar
- Google Notebook - Clip and collect information as you surf the web. http://www.google.com/notebook
- PBWiki - Great wiki to use to keep track of or plan anything. http://pbwiki.com
- Slideshare.net - Share your PowerPoints with your students and the world. http://www.slideshare.net/
- Tumblr - Great quick and easy blogging site. http://tumblr.com
Thanks to Katie Christo for her work on gathering these awesome resources!!!